On July 17-21, seventeen youth joined for a week of service in the Charlotte area. We stayed at St. Mark’s by night and served in the community by day. Our youth did an amazing job of jumping in and serving wherever we went. We also had lots of fun during nightly activities and through cooking and dining together. We had a full week—here is a list of our activities for the week:
- We served at St. Mark’s: Pulling weeds in the playground and garden, refinishing the wood in the courtyard chapel, trimming the bushes around the St. Mark’s sign, cleaning windows around St. Mark’s, cleaning the oven and microwave in the kitchen, removing a downed tree in the lawn, and washing robes.
- We collected bags of non-perishable foods from our neighborhood for Loaves & Fishes.
- We served at Holy Angels of Belmont, a home for severely disabled children and adults. We cleaned windows, dorms, and wheelchairs.
- We served at Sow Much Good, an urban farm that serves the food insecure of Charlotte. We pulled weeds, helped rescue a blackberry patch, planted seeds, and harvested vegetables.
- We made 800 sandwiches for the Urban Ministry Center.
- We served at Community Charter School by painting and landscaping.
- We served at St. Mark’s Soup Kitchen.
- We attended a Helping Homeless to Housing meeting at Moore Place, where we heard stories from formerly homeless individuals.
- We participated in youth-led devotions about forgiveness each night.
- We played capture the flag at Edgehill Park.
- We played Secret Service at St. Mark’s.
- We played laser tag at Laser Quest.
Everyone at St. Mark’s would have been proud to see our youth in action! They are wonderful at sharing the love of Christ through service to others. A very special thanks to the adults who helped Alex lead this week: Brandi Dotson, Pastor Emily, Chris Parrish, Beverly Timm, Carolyn Usinger, and Betsy Wenzel.