The History of St. Mark’s Lutheran Church

 Key Dates & Events in St. Mark’s History

    • 1859 – Organization of St. Mark’s by the Rev. G. D. Bernheim, D.D. – Pastor from 1861- 1865
    • 1870 – Cornerstone laying of 2nd church – 510 North Tryon Street
    • 1872 – Dedication of 2nd Church
    • 1885 – Organization of Women’s Missionary Society
    • 1885 – Cornerstone laying of 3rd church – 416 N. Tryon Street
    • 1890 – Dedication of 3rd church
    • 1890 – Organization of Ladies Aid Society
    • 1909 – Golden Jubilee Celebration of Organization of St. Mark’s – 50th Anniversary celebration
    • 1909 – Organization of Brotherhood of St. Mark’s
    • 1915 – Organization of Luther League
    • 1917 – Celebration of 400th Anniversary of Protestant Reformation
    • 1919 – Work begun on Education Building on 3rd church
    • 1920 – Graded lessons introduced in Primary Department
    • 1920 – Cornerstone laying of Education Building
    • 1920 – First service in Educational Building
    • 1922 – Reopening of redecorated church
    • 1923 – New Constitution adopted by the congregation providing rotation in office of councilmen
    • 1924 – Organization of Business Women’s Group of W.M.S.
    • 1924 – Graded lessons introduced in Junior and Intermediate Departments
    • 1925 – Sunday School introduced full graded course
    • 1935 – Golden Jubilee Convention – Supper given by W.M.S.
    • 1935 – 50th Anniversary of cornerstone laying of 3rd church
    • 1935 – 76th Anniversary of organization of St. Mark’s
    • 1935 – 418th celebration of Protestant Reformation
    • 1955 – Purchase of parsonage – 226 Huntley Place
    • 1956 – Purchase of new church site: Queens and Edgehill Roads
    • 1957 – Campaign for $300,000 for new church
    • 1958 – Addition of Associate Pastor to church staff
    • 1959 – Celebration of St. Mark’s Centennial
    • 1960 – Congregation moved into new and present home – 1001 Queens Road
    • 1984 – Combination of month long celebration of 125th Anniversary of St. Mark’s with worship service similar to 1859 liturgy and music
    • 1990 – Dedication of prayer garden an columbarium on Edgehill Road
    • 1993 – Partnership with Ascension Lutheran Church/Missouri Synod for Charlotte Lutheran School
    • 1995 – Improvements to organ and installation of second organ and trumpet-enchamade
    • 1999 – Ground breaking for new facilities
    • 2000 – Dedication of the new church facilities
    • 2009 – Kickoff for year long activities in celebration of St. Mark’s 150th Anniversary